It’s National S’mores Day!
If you haven’t noticed we like to celebrate any national holiday especially when it’s food related i.e. here, here, and then there is today! National S’mores Day! What a classic American summer treat?! There aren’t too many camping trips or summer BBQs that are complete without a delicious s’mores treat to round out the experience. In honor of this fabulous food holiday we thought we would take this it up a notch and instead of the classic graham cracker, chocolate, marshmallow combo, we would get creative. We are not reinventing the classic here, however we are making it, dare we say, more yummy! How? you may ask…by making it a pie that’s how…
Introducing the Academy Ford S’mores Pie…
1 3/4 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1 1/4 stick of butter (unsalted), melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Add melted butter and graham cracker crumbs together until combined and it reaches a wet sand-like texture.
- Press into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Chocolate Ganache Filling:
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place chocolate in a large mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a boil. Watch carefully as it is easy to burn. Pour hot cream, through a sieve, over chocolate. Stir until smooth and creamy in texture. Mix in vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture into center of cooled tart shell (if chocolate is lumpy, pass through a sieve again). Let stand until set, about 2 hours, or chill for 1 hour.
1 bag of large marshmallows
- Top the chocolate ganache with as many large marshmallows as you can fit.
- Use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows. If you do not have a kitchen torch you can stick the pie back in the oven with the setting on broiler for 1-2 minutes so the top can get golden. But, make sure you keep a close eye on it as it doesn’t take long.
YUM! Enjoy! Let us know about your creative interpretations of the s’more or if you try out our recipe let us know what you think in the comments section below.