How to Save $ at the Pump, Part II
This is our next installment in our How to Save $ at the Pump series. Today we look at how to get cheaper gas. We took an average of the closest 10 gas stations to our location and the gas prices range from $3.90/gallon for regular- $4.19/gallon for premium, which apparently is just going to get even higher as we get closer to summer. So, here are our top 3 recommended ways to get cheaper gas.
3 Ways to Get Cheaper Gas
1. Grocery Store Rewards Programs:
- Giant: You can earn $0.10/gallon for every $100 spent up to a savings of $2.20/gallon. The rewards can be redeemed at a Giant gas station or any Shell Station.
- Safeway: Has a very similar program to Giant, however you can ONLY redeem your rewards at a Safeway gas station (closest Safeway Gas station in this area is the Bowie location)
2. Warehouse Clubs: must have a membership to use
- Sam’s Club ($40 annual membership fee): $3.82 regular -$4.02 premium as, subject to change
Closest Sam’s Club with a gas station: 3535 Russett Green East Laurel, MD 20724 (301)604-2060
- Costco ($55 annual membership fee): $3.79 regular -$3.97 premium, subject to change
Closest Costco with a gas station: 10925 Baltimore AVE Beltsville, MD 20705 (301)902-2640
- BJ’s ($50 annual membership fee): Will not tell you gas prices over the phone because of the rapid increasing in pricing
Closest BJ’s with a gas station: 16520 Ball Park RD Bowie, MD 20716 (301)262-0627
3. Free Smart Phone Aps:
- Gasbuddy.com (5 star rating): our recommended gas app. This app will find: regular, midgrade, premium, and diesel pricing from gas stations closest to your current location or a specified location. It also rewards users for reporting gas prices with points and the points earned you can be entered into prize giveaways including $250 gas gift card every week.
- Cheap Gas! (2 ½ star rating): this app defaults to sort by price, but you did still have the option to sort by location. It is a nice feature to be able to see the cheapest gas station at the top of the list. The poor rating most likely stems from what the reviewers report to be an issue with numerous crashes of the program.
- Local Gas Prices (2 ½ star rating): this app has the lower rating because reviewers site old pricing as the biggest issue as well as some technical errors.
Any questions or comments please leave below or call us at (301)419-2700