Road Trip Ready: Entertainment
Okay we’ve talked about some best practices for packing up the car and avoiding maintenance mayhem. Now you’re about to set off on a long road trip. You are so excited and can’t wait to get to your perfect vacation destination, but wait you have got hours in a crowded car standing between you and your vacation. How can you keep everyone entertained and maintain your sanity until you reach your hotel or the next rest stop? Some fun and easy road trip games might do the trick.
Here are a couple tricks to have up your sleeve to entertain everyone within the confines of your vehicle:
1. Car games: there are so many to choose from but, just in case you have forgotten some, here are our favorites:
- I Spy
- The Alphabet game, you can play numerous variations of this game from categories such as animals to sports, but for example if you choose groceries to begin, the first player names an object available at a grocery store that starts with the letter A. The next player has to repeat what the first player said and then add another grocery item that starts with a B. For example, if player one says “apples,” player two would repeat “apples” and then might add “bananas.” If you forget a grocery item, you’re out, and the game continues until the player with the best memory wins.
- Who Am I? Playing the guessing game Who Am I? is a great way to show everyone what they have in common. Think of someone that you and your fellow passengers all know: a family member, friend or neighbor, or maybe a fictional or historical character. Then allow each person in the car to ask only “yes” or “no” questions about the identity of your secret person. Keep giving clues until someone figures out the identity of the individual you have in mind.
2. Storytime: instead of reading to yourself why not bring along something the whole family/group can enjoy nothing beats the classics such as, “The Chronicles of Narnia.” If you don’t feel like reading out loud you can choose from a ton of options at the local library or book store for audio books on CD to play in the car or you can download a few from online.
3. Caraoke: singing in the car can be a lot of fun if everyone participates, so make a CD or load up your smart phone or MP3 player with some favorites of the group. Below are a list of our favorite Road Trip Songs:
- “Free Falling” by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- “Life in the Fast Lane” by The Eagles
- “Get Your Kicks on Route 66” by The Rolling Stones
- “Cruisin'” by Smokey Robinson
- “I Get Around” by The Beach Boys
- “Everyday is A Winding Road” by Sheryl Crow
- “Life is A Highway” by Rascal Flats
The most important thing is to have fun! If you are going on a Road Trip the journey will be a big part of your vacation so, use this time to enjoy spending time with your friends and family!
What are some of the games or ways you and yours have fun on Road Trips? Let us know in the comments section below 🙂